Thursday, November 15, 2012

Practicing Your Knowledge

 I visited my mom last week, and she was doing all these different stretches with her leg and ankle, that are still a little messed up from a car accident she was in earlier this year. I asked her if she needed any help, and she wanted me to do what her physical therapist helps her with. So I got a very hands on experience with what a physical therapist does with an accident victim, specializing on the right leg.
It was pretty basic, I helped her stretch her leg while she was laying down at first. Then we worked on walking and going up the stairs. It was a good experience because I was able to practice helping an actual person. Like I used my arm and leg muscles rather than just my finger muscles when typing these blogs, that was the biggest difference between helping my mom through stretches and reading about a woman's stretches. I think these types of hands-on experiences play a big role in helping to prepare for the job being researched. Articles and talking about the job are much different than actually experiencing it. I liked this a lot better too because it gave me the chance to understand how to encourage and support a patient, through words and motions.

No comments:

Post a Comment