Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Starting a Physical Therapy Practice

If I actually get into physical therapy, I will want to start my own business. I don't like taking orders, and I think it would just be better for me to do my own thing. I also don't really want to work in a hospital. All those scrubs are so ugly. I realize this is a lot of work, but I know it's what I want to do eventually. I like to be in charge so, yeah, that's my plan.
I read about the process of starting your own practice. I already know the top states to live to start my practice from a previous post, but I want to know what my plan would be from there. This is what I learned from the site Nitin 360 (http://www.nitin360.com/starting-a-physical-therapy-practice.html).
The first thing the site tells you is to make sure it's what you want because you have to love helping people for it to all work out in the end. Or else you'd be stuck in something you hate for a while. Anyway though. 
I need to prepare a financial statement in order to find out how much I can put to raise funds for the private project. I've got to have a good business plan, and identify where my business will be situated because it has to be accessible to my clients. 
Competition is important. I have to make sure I know who they are and where they are. This makes sense. So don't put my business around some big, known practice or else I won't have any patients.
Another hint they give is to make sure I know what to do when certain situations arise so that I can avoid embarrassment from fellow colleagues.
I have to plan a lot. That's for sure. Don't want anything to go wrong. And prepare for criticism, what can you do to avoid that though.
I won't make all my money back going right into it, so I have to pull through even when the times are tough at the beginning. It will eventually profit.
I might need a business consultant, but they're expensive, so I'm going to try to stay away from that.
ADVERTISE. Tell everyone. Use all my connections from family, friends, and coworkers in order to get word out.
Staff is really important. I have to make sure they all are up to par by having weekly review meetings. I will fully check the workers out to ensure they love helping people as much as me. Oh, and be good to them, but still a leader. Makes sense.
Lastly, feedback from clients is a big thing, I've got to be clear with them, be friendly and caring, and really show them how to get better. 
I can definitely do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment