Monday, October 8, 2012

Reason Why

Everyone has a reason behind the dream job they're chosen. I'd just like to talk about what mine is for this week's blog. 
So, my dream job is to be a physical therapist. The obvious reasons are because I love working with people, helping them specifically. The pay is also good, so that's a plus. And I should always have a job available somewhere since it's in the medical field.
These are reasons that anyone would pick being a physical therapist as their career. However, for me, there's a little more to it. This past year, my mom got in an awful car accident. She hit a tree, and broke the right half of her body. (Luckily, she's left handed). Anywho, when I found out she was in the hospital, I left work and drove to the hospital. When I got there, she looked awful! Her hair, her face, her arm, she had cuts all over, and a metal rod from her hip to her foot. It was tough seeing her like that, but all I wanted to do was help her.
As time went on, she started attending physical therapy to learn to walk again. I went to some of these appointments to see what it was like, and to help her out. It was amazing. It's a slow process, but you do start to see more and more progress each time. Eventually, my mom got to get out of her wheelchair, and use crutches. After a while on crutches, those were taken away too. She walked with quite a limp for a long time, but that even went away after more practice. It was so cool to see the change in her. And she absolutely loved her PT, Susan. She counted on her, for help and motivation, and that's what she got. Susan kept her going, even on the rough days where she didn't even want to move. She pushed her, and got her to where she's at now. There's no way my mom would be where she is now without Susan. They still talk even now, without the regular visits. It's the coolest thing.
This personal experience of watching my mom get back on her feet (literally), was life changing. It showed me how important and rewarding this job is. Every time I get a new patient, I will think of my mom and everything she went through. I know I can motivate these people, because I've seen the potential in people. I'm so excited to see the patients get through their struggles, and prosper. Just like my mom did. All you need is some support and encouragement. So rewarding. I can't wait to become a physical therapist.

No comments:

Post a Comment