Monday, October 1, 2012

5 Steps

This week I read more about how to become a physical therapist. I was looking more at the big picture before, but I found out more about specific steps.
1)Evaluate Skills
        -Here, the site just wants you to self assess and see if this is the right field. Like, how you deal with others in pain, and how to motivate. Oh, and also to think how good you are in subjects like biology, physics, biology, act. (This is a step I already knew).

2)Gather Information
        -Decide what branch of physical therapy you want to study. Each has its own duties and challenges.
Geriatric Physical Therapy, Sports Related Physical Therapy, Pediatric Physical Therapy, Orthopedic Physical Therapy, Neurological Physical Therapy, Degenerative Diseases, Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Physical Therapy.
I will have to look more into these branches because I don't know quite yet what the differences are between these branches.

3) Choose your Undergraduate PT School
        -I did this already, since I'm at MSU, but I will have to make sure I do well in all of the courses in order to get into a good graduate program from here. I've got to get ahead of the competition.

4) Acquire your Graduate Degree
      -A good Graduate program in physical therapy will teach you about cardiopulmonary physical therapy, neurological physical therapy, generalized physical therapy and psychosocial issues. It will also cover musculoskeletal disorders and the kinds of physical therapy related research that will be of use to you once you start practicing. This degree will also help you prepare for the Nation PT Exam and state licensing. So, this prepares you for a lot in this field.

5) Get a State License
         -So, after the degree, you have to pass two state license board exams, as well as the National PT Exam(which qualifies you for the board exams). Depending on the state I end up living, there are certain requirements besides this. But I don't have that figured out yet. You also have to renew your license every two years, and it is recommended you continue with schooling to stay ahead of the game.

This is everything I found out from the site "Becoming a Physical Therapist" at http://www.becomingphysicaltherapist.com/how-to-become-a-physical-therapist-5-steps-to-your-dream-2/ and I think it helped clear up a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment